These chapters have been organised with the Core Procedures in the most prominent place as these explain the actions that must be taken when there are concerns about the welfare of a child/young person and follows a natural sequence from Responding to Abuse and Neglect through to Child Protection Case Conference processes.
This manual replaces the ACPC Regional Child Protection Policy and Procedures that were issued in 2005. The ACPC Regional Policy and Procedures 2005 should therefore be stood down.
It is acknowledged that a number of the linked guidance documents make reference to the 2005 ACPC Regional Policies and Procedures. It is recognised that these need to be amended in light of these Regional Core Policy and Procedures and that organisations will need to review their own internal guidance documents to ensure that these align with the Regional Core Child Protection Policy and Procedures.
Click here to access Co-operating to Safeguard Children and Young People 2016 (revised August 2017) which is an important reference document. This document provides the overarching policy framework for safeguarding children and young people and is a key text for all those involved in safeguarding children and young people. In particular we recommend staff to reference Chapter 7 that addresses many new and emerging issues plus links to other key documents. The following areas are addressed within this document:
- Specific Forms of Abuse. For example Honour Based Violence, Abusive Images of Children, Forced Marriage;
- Children and Young People with increased vulnerabilities. For example Children with Disability, Private Fostering, Domestic Violence;
- Children and Young People's Behaviour. For example Peer Abuse, Self-Harm, Bullying.
This Contents list is sub-divided into the following sections, each section contains relevant Chapters/Procedures: (Click on the title to jump to the section you require):
- Core Procedures
- Individuals Who Pose a Risk to Children/Young People
- Learning and Improvement to Support and Develop Child Protection
- Roles and Responsibilities of Safeguarding Board for Northern Ireland
- Interagency Guidance/Protocols