Gateshead Logo

Gateshead Safeguarding Children Board Procedures Manual

Reporting Concerns

If you are concerned about a child's welfare or worried they are being abused, you can make a referral to Gateshead Children's Social Care.

During office hours (Monday - Thursday, 8:30am-5pm and Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm) please contact the Referral and Assessment Team on (0191) 433 2653 or R&

On evenings and weekends please contact the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on (0191) 477 0844 and ask for the EDT social worker.

The Child Protection/Child in Need/Child Care Concern Referral Form can also be used to share information with your local office. More information on how to make a referral can be found here or at Worried about a child? (Gateshead Council website).

Referral Form - Child protection / child in need / child care concern - only use this if you are unable to submit via online form above.

If you are unsure the Gateshead Children's Services Procedures Manual will be able to help guide you or the Delivering a Continuum of Integrated Support: Indicators of Need and Service Response Guidance and Children in Need (including in need of protection): Indicators of Need and Service Response Table which tells you which types of services a family may need to get support.

Alternatively you can call ChildLine for advice on 0800 1111 or email them by visiting or contact Northumbria Police on 101 (or 999 in an emergency).


What to do if you're worried a child is being abused: Advice for practitioners