Somerset SCB logo

SomersetSafeguarding Children Board Procedures Manual

Reporting Concerns

If you are worried about a child or young person who could be in danger please contact:

You can contact the police directly by dialling 101 and they will discuss with Children's Social Care what action should be taken. In an emergency always contact the police by dialling 999.

If you would like to speak to a social worker outside of office hours please phone the Emergency Duty Team (EDT) on 0300 123 23 27.

The Early Help Assessment can also be used to share information with your local office. More information on how to make a referral can be found here.

If you are unsure the Somerset Safeguarding Children Board Procedures Manual will be able to help guide you or the Effective Support for Children and Families Guidance which tells you which types of services a family may need to get support.

Alternatively you can call ChildLine for advice  on 0800 1111 or email them by visiting


What to do if you’re worried a child is being abused: Advice for practitioners.